- GMCR was again named the world’s largest purchaser of Fair Trade Certified™ coffee in 2011 by Fair Trade USA. In calendar 2011, GMCR purchased more than 50 million pounds of Fair Trade Certified™ coffee for its Specialty Coffee business unit in the U.S. Since the start of GMCR’s involvement in fair trade and involvement with Fair Trade USA in 2000, GMCR’s Fair Trade Certified™ coffee purchases have delivered more than $13 million in community development premium funds to coffee farmers.
- As part of its ongoing sustainability efforts, GMCR recently made a $550,000 grant to Fair Trade USA in support of various programs that cultivate awareness about Fair Trade Certified™ coffee. The fair trade programs range from scholarships for the organization’s Fair Trade Colleges & Universities program to sponsoring coffee producer events around the country.
- GMCR co-hosted two ‘Intercambio’ events, in Peru and in Nicaragua, with Fair Trade USA. With a focus on engagement, these multi-day events brought together GMCR’s entire coffee supply chain in each country -- including farmers, importers, traders, social lenders, and non-government organizations (NGOs) -- to enhance transparency, inspire collaboration, and exchange ideas.
- To further its support of coffee-growing communities, from 2008-2011, GMCR funded 36 food security projects through 17 NGO partners in communities where GMCR sources Fair Trade Certified™ coffee. These projects benefited approximately 39,800 families, and more than 206,400 people in coffee-growing communities in 12 different countries.
- GMCR also purchases Fairtrade Certified coffee, certified by Fairtrade Canada, through its Canadian business unit (GMCR Canada). In 2012, GMCR Canada converted four Van Houtte ® coffee varieties to be Fairtrade Certified and is converting three additional varieties this month.
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Inc. Deepens Its Commitment To Fair Trade And Sustainable Coffee Sourcing
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.