By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- LyondellBasell Industries (LYB) is pushing a 52-week high, and traders are rolling with the name.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected buying in the October 55 calls for $1.15, while the September 52.50 calls were sold for 80 cents. It looks as if traders were closing the September contracts and opening a long position at the higher strike.
Calls lock in the price where traders can buy shares in the chemicals company, which manufactures polymers, refines crude oil, and produces gasoline-blending components. By adjusting the options forward in time, the traders won't have to purchase the stock at expiration this Friday and can keep riding the rally without needing to own shares.The stock rose 1.08% to $52.50 Wednesday after RBC initiated coverage of the name with an outperform rating. At one point during the session it traded as high as $53.62, not far from the record high of $53.77 reached last week. More than 10,800 contracts traded in LyondellBasell Wednesday, compared with 2,500 in a typical session. Calls outnumbered puts by more than 4 to 1, indicating the bullish sentiment. Najarian has no positions in LYB.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV