The company's second-quarter net interest margin -- the difference between the average yield on loans and investments and the average cost for deposits and borrowings -- expanded to 3.16%, from 3.09% the previous quarter, and 3.07% a year earlier. The margin expansion ran counter to the trend for most large regional U.S. banks, which have been seeing their margins squeezed as the Federal Reserve has continued making large purchases of long-term securities, in an attempt to bring long-term rates down even further, from historically low levels.
Regions felt the margin squeeze earlier than many other banks, and Guggenheim Analyst Marty Mosby says that the company "has the opportunity to continue to expand the margin as they refinance some of their debt and CDs mature at lower rates, and as they see their ratings from the ratings agencies improve."
Mosby estimates that Regions Financial's margin will expand by another nine basis points through the end of 2013.
The analyst rates Regions a "Buy," and on Monday raised his price target for the shares to $9.25 from $9.00, saying he expected the company to improve its "quarterly earnings run rate to above $0.20 before year-end, pushing potential upside substantially higher."RF data by YCharts
Interested in more on Regions Financial? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV