Michigan Jobless Rate Jumps 0.4 Points To 9.4 Pct.
LANSING, Mich. (AP) â¿¿ Michigan authorities say the state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate rose 0.4 percentage points in the latest month to 9.4 percent.
The Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget released the August jobless figures Wednesday. The nation's August unemployment rate was 8.1 percent, down from 8.3 percent in July.
The state's jobless has fallen 1 percentage point over 12 months from an August 2011 level of 10.4 percent. But it has risen for four straight months from April's 8.3 percent.
Michigan says total employment in the state dropped by 18,000 in August and the number of unemployed rose by 16,000. The overall civilian labor force was little changed at 4.7 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV