NEW YORK (TheStreet Ratings) -- TheStreet Ratings initiated coverage of seven exchange-traded funds, or ETFs, that accrued a sufficient track record of risk and performance data by the end of August 2012. Of the seven newly rated exchange-traded funds, two start out at 'Buy' with grades of B- or better on superior first year results.
Just one fund earned an initial 'Hold' level ratings of C+ to C- by finishing in the middle of the pack. Finally, four ETFs begin at 'Sell' with grades of D+ or worse after underperforming alternative ETF investments in the past year on a risk-adjusted return basis.
Here are the two newly rated ETFs ranked at 'Buy':
2. iShares S&P Target Date 2050 IndexiShares S&P Target Date 2050 Index (TZY) seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the S&P Target Date 2050 Index. The underlying index seeks to represent asset allocations for investors with a target retirement horizon on or around 2050. Expense Ratio: 0.11% One Year Total Return: 19.9% Rated "B" by TheStreet Ratings:
1. Market Vectors Mtge REIT Income ETFMarket Vectors Mtge REIT Income ETF (MORT) seeks to replicate as closely as possible, before fees and expenses, the price and yield performance of the Market Vectors Global Mortgage REITs Index. The fund normally invests at least 80% of its total assets in securities that comprise the funds benchmark index. The fund turned in a stellar first year return earning a Reward grade of "A+". Lower volatility garnered a good Risk grade of "B+" validating the underlying strategy. Expense Ratio: 0.40% One Year Total Return: 32.3% Rated "A+" by TheStreet Ratings:
1. iShares S&P Target Date 2045 IndexiShares S&P Target Date 2045 Index (TZW) seeks investment result that correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the S&P Target Date 2045 Index. The underlying index seeks to represent asset allocation for investors with a target retirement horizon on or around 2045. Expense Ratio: 0.11% One Year Total Return: 14.1% Rated "C+" by TheStreet Ratings:
4. iPath S&P 500 Dynamic VIX ETNiPath S&P 500 Dynamic VIX ETN (XVZ) seeks to provide investors with cost-effective exposure to the S&P 500« Dynamic VIX Futures┐ Total Return Index which dynamically allocates between the S&P 500« VIX Short-Term Futures┐ Index Excess Return and the S&P 500« VIX Mid-Term Futures┐ Index Excess Return based upon the steepness of the implied volatility curve. The index seeks to react positively to overall increases in market volatility while lowering roll costs tied to futures contracts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV