(1) The accompanying Consolidated Financial Statements of General Mills, Inc. (we, us, our, General Mills, or the Company) have been prepared in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States for annual and interim financial information. In the opinion of management, all adjustments considered necessary for a fair presentation have been included and are of a normal recurring nature.
(2) At the beginning of fiscal 2013, we realigned certain divisions within our U.S. Retail operating segment and certain geographic regions within our International operating segment. These realignments had no effect on previously reported consolidated net sales, operating segments’ net sales, operating profit, segment operating profit, net earnings attributable to General Mills or earnings per share.
(3) On August 1, 2012, we acquired Yoki Alimentos S.A. (Yoki), a privately held food company headquartered in Sao Bernardo do Campo, Brazil, for an aggregate purchase price of $940 million, including $89 million of non-cash consideration for net debt assumed, subject to a purchase price adjustment based on Yoki’s final pre-acquisition balance sheet. Yoki operates in several food categories, including snacks, convenient meals, basic foods, and seasonings. We funded this transaction using cash available in our foreign subsidiaries and from commercial paper. We report our Brazilian operations on a one-month lag and will consolidate Yoki’s balance sheet and results of operations beginning with our second quarter of fiscal 2013. As of August 26, 2012, the $851 million of cash used to fund the acquisition is reported on our Consolidated Balance Sheets. The pro forma effects of this acquisition were not material.
(4) In the first quarter of fiscal 2013, we recorded a $9 million restructuring charge related to a productivity and cost savings plan approved in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. The plan was designed to improve organizational effectiveness and focus on key growth strategies and included organizational changes to strengthen business alignment and actions to accelerate administrative efficiencies across all of our operating segments and support functions. During the quarter ended August 26, 2012, we recorded restructuring charges of $7 million related to our International segment, $2 million related to our U.S. Retail segment, and less than $1 million related to our Bakeries and Foodservice segment. These restructuring actions are expected to be completed by the end of fiscal 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV