TORONTO, Sept. 19, 2012 /CNW/ - While a recent CIBC poll found 55 per cent of Canadians have a will in place, few have included trusts as part of their estate plan - vehicles that could potentially save them tens of thousands in taxes and speed up the transfer of assets.
Jamie Golombek, Managing Director, Tax and Estate Planning, CIBC Private Wealth Management notes that a trust is essentially a vehicle that allows a person to give assets to someone else (known as a "beneficiary"), but under certain terms and conditions, such as when funds can be spent and on what. The added benefit of a trust is that, for tax purposes, it is treated as a separate individual which may reduce taxes paid.
"Trusts are a valuable part of an estate plan to direct your money to the person intended, when intended, and for the purpose intended," he says. "For example, you can indicate in the trust document that the money in trust should be used to pay for school tuition and not to buy a sports car."
Two new reports on the benefits of including trusts in estate plans provide a number of reasons why people should consider trusts as part of an overall financial plan. Among those reasons are:
- Pay less tax - a trust can save an individual up to $18,000 in tax annually compared to the individual personally owning the property held in a trust.
- Decide how inheritance is spent - a trust can set out that an inheritance is to be spent wisely, such as for university tuition and not on something else.
- Help loved ones get their money sooner - certain types of trusts can provide for a quicker transfer of assets on death since, unlike wills, trusts are not subject to the public probate process.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV