By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Savient Pharmaceuticals (SVNT) has been taken to the woodshed, but recently it's turned bullish.
On Monday, buyers jumped into the December 2 calls, with 2,000 pricing for 12 cents to 16 cents, and traders continued to snap up those contracts Tuesday. This time, another 4,100 traded with the largest block pricing for 31 cents, according to OptionMonster's real-time tracking systems.
Calls lock in the price investors pay to buy stock, so they can generate some nice leverage if the shares continue climb. But if no rally occurs, those options can expire worthless.Savient's shares fell 1.34% to $2.06 Tuesday after trading as high as $2.24 earlier in the session. The stock has come back from the dead, roughly tripling since July as small-cap drug developers have come into favor. Calls outnumbered puts by about 21,000 to 1,400, reflecting the day's bullish sentiment. Total volume was almost triple the daily average. Najarian has no positions in SVNT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV