HANNOVER, Germany, Sept. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) today announced an incremental investment of $16 million in its European brake operations. This builds on a $42 million investment the company announced at the 2010 Hannover IAA Commercial Vehicle show to solidify its position as a global on-highway brake leader.
"We are continuing to strengthen our global brake business," said Joe Plomin, vice president, Global Brakes, Meritor. "Our Cwmbran, U.K., site is our global center of excellence for disc brakes. With the expected growth around the world for disc brake technology, we are increasing our investment to ensure we can meet the needs of our customers."
The complete investment plan focuses on the following initiatives:
- Advanced product technology combining reduced weight, higher output and broader application coverage
- More in-depth product test and validation capabilities
- Facility modernization creating a operating environment to ensure market-leading cost, quality and safety
- Larger customer support and manufacturing teams
The initial investment led to the expansion of the successful ELSA air disc brake and S-Cam product lines, and the development of future braking technologies. At this year's IAA Commercial Vehicle show, Meritor announced the latest developments to the ELSA family of air disc brakes that demonstrated features including reduced weight, improved life and increased performance with nominal torque ratings up to 30kNm. The extended family of brakes broadens Meritor's ability to cover every vocation with more optimized product offerings.The company's earlier investment also included vehicle and lab performance testing, validation improvements, such as a new noise, vibration and harshness and thermal imaging dynamometer. The new dynamometer is capable of testing complete corner modules, including axles, suspensions and wheel-ends. Additionally, the company purchased a new advanced three-axis vibration rig to analyze effects of vibration more accurately.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts