Shares of Citigroup (C) closed at $34.06 Monday, returning 30% year-to-date, after a decline of 44% during 2011.
The shares trade for 0.7 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $51.81, and for six times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.65. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $5.06.
For the 12-month period ended June 30, Citi's ROA was 0.55%, and its ROE was 5.78%.
Citigroup announced on Sept. 11 that it would record a pretax write-down in the third quarter of $4.7 billion -- $2.9 billion after tax -- after the company and Morgan Stanley agreed upon a valuation for the Morgan Stanley Smith Barney joint venture, which was formed in June 2009.Citigroup in June 2009 sold Smith Barney to the joint venture, booking a gain of $11.1 billion, or $6.7 billion after taxes. Morgan Stanley had the option of purchasing Citigroup's minority stake in the joint venture over a three year period, beginning this year. Morgan Stanley in June informed Citigroup that it would purchase an additional 14% stake in the joint venture from Citigroup, after which the companies took over three months to arrive at the joint venture's valuation. The two companies announced that week that Morgan Stanley would buy Citigroup's entire stake, taking another 15% by June 1, 2013, and the remainder by June 1, 2015. Kotowski on Sunday called Citigroup "the hands down winner in terms of attractiveness" on the basis of a valuation to tangible book value "at only 27% of its historical average." The analyst said that "at least "$100 billion of the $191 billion of assets in Citi Holdings are home mortgages," along with $35 billion in Citi's runoff subsidiary of which "a decent chunk
Interested in more on Citigroup? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV