5. Bank of America
Shares of Bank of America were up 68% year-to-date, through Monday's close at $9.30. During 2011, the shares dropped 58%.
The shares trade for 0.7 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $13.22, and for ten times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 91 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 55 cents
For the 12-month period ended June 30, Bank of America's ROA was 0.52%, while the company's ROE was 4.84%.
With hindsight being 20-20, it's clear that there was a lot of money to be made for investors jumping into BAC shares at the end of last year, or early this year. But the shares have been quite volatile, and the mortgage putback theme is likely to be the main story for the company for some time to come.During the second quarter alone, Bank of America's mortgage purchase demands from Fannie Mae (FNMA), Freddie Mac (FMCC) and private investors increased by 41%, to $22.7 billion as of June 30. Oppenheimer analyst Chris Kotowski on Sunday said that "one could make the argument that BofA looks cheap here as well, but part of that is because the market is already baking in the putback losses and their ultimate impact on
Interested in more on Bank of America? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV