9. Popular, Inc.
Shares of Popular, Inc. (OFG) of Hato Rey, Puerto Rico, closed at $14.27 Monday, returning 29% year-to-date, after dropping 56% last year.
The shares trade for just under half their June 30 tangible book value, and for six times the consensus 2013 earnings EPS of $2.40. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $2.06.
For the 12-month period ended June 30, Popular's ROA was 0.39%, while the company's ROE was 3.65%.
The company owes $935 million in bailout funds received in December 2008 through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP.Popular reported second-quarter net income applicable to common stock of $64.8 million, increasing from $47.5 million in the first quarter, but declining from $109.8 million during the second quarter of 2011. The main factor in the sequential improvement and year-over-year decline in earnings was Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation loss-share coverage of assets acquired from the failed Westernbank Puerto Rico in April 2010. Popular reported $2.3 million in loss-share income for the first quarter, compared to loss-sharing expenses of $15.3 million in the previous quarter, and loss-share income of $38.7 million a year earlier. The company's provision for loan losses on loan balances not covered by loss-sharing agreements declined to $81.7 million in the second quarter, from $82.5 million in the first quarter, and $95.7 million in the second quarter of 2011. Morgan Stanley analyst Ken Zerbe rates Popular "Overweight," and said in July that the company's "core EPS of $0.32 was surprisingly close to our expectations of $0.33 (although reported results, as usual, were rather messy)," and said that a key point for the second quarter was "better credit experience, including lower
Interested in more on Popular Inc.? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV