The Associated Press
BRAKING NEWS: Shipping company FedEx is a closely watched measure of the worldwide economy, because how much companies ship is an important clue about their overall health. On Tuesday, FedEx lowered its growth predictions for the fiscal year.
ON THE SKIDS: Prices for oil and for industrial metals like platinum and palladium fell. Investors were worried about a slowing economy, which means there's less need for the oil and industrial metals that power manufacturing, transportation and other aspects of industry.
MINING PEACE? Developments at South African platinum mines also helped push down the price of platinum. Miners have been striking for more than a month, but one company successfully brokered a deal with its workers on Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV