NEWPORT NEWS, Va., Sept. 18, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Huntington Ingalls Industries (NYSE:HII) announced today that the company's Newport News Shipbuilding (NNS) division's "School Tools" drive collected more than 20,000 school supplies to assist about 1,000 area students.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/hii/mediagallery.html?pkgid=14743
"HII stresses the importance of education and encourages our employees to get involved in their communities," said Chavis Harris, NNS' director, EEO, diversity and corporate citizenship. "School Tools allows us to engage in both. We are shipbuilders, but we are parents and grandparents too and equipping our youth for a successful school year is a very worthy cause."Shipbuilders donated a variety of school supplies, including 6,258 pencils, 4,386 ball point pens and 911 packs of paper. The supplies were sorted and delivered Friday to area departments of social services, Newport News Public Schools Administration and the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Virginia Peninsula as part of United Way's Day of Caring. "We truly appreciate Newport News Shipbuilding's involvement that enables us to help our families in need," said Cheryl Ferreira, social worker for York County and the City of Poquoson. "The beginning of the school year is a stressful time, especially for parents who are struggling financially, and the donation of school supplies not only helps prepare children for the school year, but helps to alleviate that stress."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV