Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that its Sprint ® Direct Connect ® push-to-talk (PTT) service has surpassed the 1 million-customer milestone as customers continue to migrate to the service on Sprint’s CDMA network.
Less than a year ago, Sprint launched Sprint Direct Connect, ushering in the next generation of PTT service from the company that pioneered push-to-talk. The service debuted packed with broadband data capabilities, familiar push-to-talk features, rugged and reliable handsets, and a broadening push-to-talk coverage map.
Today, Sprint Direct Connect has matured into the industry’s push-to-talk gold standard with:
- Triple the square miles of coverage compared to the company’s legacy Nextel National Network
- Instant call set-up time on domestic PTT calls
- International coverage to Latin American countries that most frequently use PTT service; and,
- A range of rugged, military-spec handsets including the Motorola ADMIRAL™ smartphone
“One million customers in less than a year is an important achievement and reflects well on the permanence of push-to-talk as a communications solution,” said Paget Alves, Sprint’s chief sales officer. “Sprint Direct Connect has clearly met the increasing demand for faster data speeds and better and broader coverage on push-to-talk devices.”Last quarter, 60 percent of total subscribers who left the postpaid Nextel platform were recaptured on the postpaid Sprint platform – up from 46 percent in the first quarter. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), a division of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), is one customer to recently migrate to Sprint Direct Connect from its legacy Nextel service. Sprint will provide FEMA with 2,000 Sprint Direct Connect handsets equipped with an Actsoft GPS tracking and navigation solution to support FEMA’s nationwide Mass Evacuation Program. Sprint’s upgraded push-to-talk platform, created by Qualcomm, has played a significant role in drawing customers from iDEN to broadband CDMA. “The Qualcomm platform represents a carrier-grade, IP-based solution for Sprint that delivers the advanced push-to-talk experiences customers are demanding today and sets a solid foundation for Sprint Direct Connect to support even more advanced communications in the future,” said Michael Wallace, senior vice president and general manager of Qualcomm Internet Services.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV