How To Use Your Insurance To Help Your Adult Children
If you are trying to help your adult children find their financial footing during the current recession, you're not alone.
A study recently presented at a meeting of the Population Association of America found that most young adults today are getting a monetary boost from Mom and Dad. According to the study, 62 percent of young adults receive help, and it's not just pocket change. The average amount of assistance was $12,185. The money goes for such things as college tuition, vehicle expenses and rent.
The need for young adults to lean on their parents is understandable. A recent study by the Pew Research Center found that only about 54 percent of people between ages 18 and 24 are employed. Those who are working full time have experienced a greater drop in weekly earnings -- 6 percent -- than any other age group in the past four years.
Your children may be hurting financially, but there's no reason to place your own finances in jeopardy in order to come to their aid. There are a variety of ways to use insurance policies to help them achieve financial security.
1. Create a legacy through life insurance"Most people think life insurance is for straight death benefit protection," says Kristen Komer, a spokesperson for MetLife. "But life insurance is a great financial solution for those who want to leave a legacy." Life insurance benefits are tax-exempt, which makes this a good way to transfer wealth from one generation to another.
2. Use a life insurance policy's cash value to provide fundsA typical permanent life insurance policy has a cash value account that grows over time. If you have such a policy, you can tap into its cash value. According to the Pew Research Center, 39 percent of young adults ages 18 to 34 remain at home with their parents or have temporarily returned because of the tough economy. Komer says borrowing against your life insurance policy's cash value can be one way to help children pay off loans, buy a home or start a business. That can move them into independent living.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV