Last up today is AT&T (T), the stock that's probably the least toxic of the toxic stocks. Like Reynolds, AT&T is just now coming off the heels of a pretty prodigious rally, up more than 24% since the first trading session in January. But it's the double top currently showing up in this stock's chart that gets my caution flag waving.
A double top is a technical pattern that's formed when a stock makes to swing highs that top out at approximately the same price level. While this could just be the start of a consolidation range (a normal occurrence after such a big rally), a breakdown below support at $35 means that it's not. That's your sell signal.The 50-day moving average has done a good job of acting as a proxy for support since the start of the year. If you want to avoid watching AT&T feverishly, consider setting up a trade alert on a breakdown below the 50-day. That'll give you plenty of time to sell a breakdown below $35 -- and better still, it's a more useful indication of a change of trend is AT&T continues to move higher. Like a trailing stop, the 50-day moves with shares. For another take on AT&T, it also shows up on a recent list of 5 Bullish Stocks to Buy on the Next Dip. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV