2012 had been going well for tobacco giant Reynolds American (RAI). At the start of August, shares were up double-digits, and the stock was consolidating sideways, giving investors a chance to take a breather after a quick rally took shares from $38.50 to $46 in a matter of weeks. But the consolidation channel ended up getting broken to the downside, sending a bearish signal for RAI investors.
Since then, shares have found support at $43, but it still makes sense to sell here. There's a lot of downside risk left in Reynolds right now -- even with the firm's hefty 5.4% dividend yield factored in.For starters, our support level at $43 isn't exactly a strong price level; so far, we've only got one "touch" of that price, versus four reversals at newfound $44.50 resistance. That makes downside price action more likely than upside right now. Volume supports that too. The stock's biggest volume spike came on a failed test of resistance, indicating that the most participation in RAI came when sellers were smacking this stock lower. I'd recommend waiting for a more meaningful support level before being a buyer. At least you'll get the possibility of an even bigger yield!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV