The exact same setup is shaping up in shares of car part retailer AutoZone (AZO) right now. AutoZone is currently forming a nearly textbook descending triangle pattern of its own, with its horizontal support level right at $355. In real terms, the descending triangle is a significant pattern because it demonstrates that sellers are in control of shares. 10 Companies That Prove Stock Picking Is Still Alive
While buyers have historically been willing to step in with a bid at $355, every time that stock slips down to that level, some of the glut of demand is getting absorbed by asks. When all of the buyers get taken out at $355, AZO's price is going to fall through support - when that happens, the "safety net" is gone, and downside becomes the high-probability price objective for the stock.
Momentum adds some extra confirmation to this downside setup: 14-day RSI has been stuck in a downtrend since before AZO topped back in May. Because momentum is a leading indicator of price, the fact that the downtrend is still in force doesn't bode well for AZO shareholders.While the stock's most recent test of $355 held up yesterday, AZO is clearly getting close to a more significant breakdown. Watch out.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV