First up is Agilent Technologies (A), the firm that's presenting the simplest bear setup right now. While Agilent hasn't had a bad year in 2012 (shares are only trailing the S&P's awesome rally by around 3% as I write), it saw almost all of its upside in January and has been dying a slow death since then. The downtrending channel in Agilent is the price pattern to watch now, especially with shares testing resistance.
Agilent's channel lower hasn't been the most orderly channel I've seen -- it's downright haphazard compared to the June and July rally in the S&P 500. But that doesn't really matter. All that matters is the fact that Agilent has gotten stopped and turned around every time it touched a support or resistance level.With shares touching this trend line resistance level for the third time in 2012, it's likely that we'll see another bounce lower from here -- especially because it coincides with resistance at the 200-day moving average. If you already own Agilent, go ahead and wait for the bounce lower before selling. Trendlines do eventually break, and it doesn't make sense to sell prematurely if A is merely (really) late to the game on this broad market rally.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV