NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Discover Financial Services (DFS) and Capital One Financial (COF)saw Goldman Sachs analysts revised their estimates higher Tuesday following two months of positive credit card data.
Arguing that results "were generally strong for all" credit card lenders, Goldman's analysts argued Discover "continues to show the strongest trends, as loan growth exceeded peers and losses and delinquencies improved further." Discover is on Goldman Sachs ' "conviction list" of buy recommendations it endorses most strongly.
Goldman raised third quarter estimates for Discover to $1.07 per share from $1.04 versus the Thomson Reuters consensus number of $1.03. It upped fourth quarter estimates by a penny to $1.09. The consensus is $1.01. Goldman has a $41 price target on Discover, shares of which were down 0.59% to $38.50 in early trading Tuesday morning.
As for Capital One, Goldman hiked third and fourth quarter estimates by two cents each to $1.73 and $1.71 per share, respectively. That's ahead of consensus estimates of $1.70 and $1.64. Goldman's price target is $61. Capital One shares were down by 2.08% to $57.54 early Tuesday.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow this writer on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV