The stock touched a new all-time high of $701.44 in morning action as investors continued to focus on robust pre-orders for the iPhone 5. Before Monday's open, Apple announced it had received 2 million pre-orders in the first 24 hours of the phone's availability this past Friday.
At last check, the shares were up 29 cents, or 0.04%, at $700.07.
Apple said Monday demand for the iPhone 5 had exceeded the initial supply, and that while the majority of pre-orders will arrive to customers on Sept. 21, many others are now scheduled for delivery in October.On Tuesday, Sterne Agee was the latest sell-side firm to lift its price target for Apple shares, going to $840 from $820 while keeping a buy rating. "We continue to believe many underestimate iPhone 5 in that it is a significant update and will drive a powerful product cycle," the firm wrote, adding later: "We continue to believe iPhone 5 will put a lot of pressure on competitors where it will incrementally capture a portion of customers attracted to Android/Windows smart phones with larger screens and/or 4G LTE wireless." Shares of Apple have appreciated nearly 73% so far in 2012 as the company has continued to innovate in product development, seen a smooth leadership transition with Tim Cook as CEO and weathered a pair of rare earnings shortfalls. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV