Manchester United (NYSE: MANU; the “Company” and “Group”) – one of the most popular and successful sports team in the world - today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended 30 June 2012.
- Earnings Per Share increased 87.5% to £0.15 and Net Income grew 79.2% to £23m.
- New sponsorship deals since 1 July 2012 include Bwin, Toshiba Medical Systems, Yanmar, Fuji TV, Santander, Shinsei Bank and MBNA.
- A world-record $559m sponsorship deal with General Motors for Chevrolet to be our exclusive shirt sponsor for seven years beginning in our 2014/15 season – an increase of approximately 120% in annual revenues over our existing shirt sponsor Aon
- the deal includes $37m to be received for pre-sponsorship support and exposure in fiscal 2013 and 2014.
- Commercial revenues grew 13.7% for fiscal 2012 to a record £117.6m due to:
- the innovative DHL training kit deal
- New Media and Mobile up 20.3% to £20.7 million
- continued growth in renewals, additional categories and regional deals.
- Broadcasting update
- Premier League UK live TV rights increased 70% to £1bn a year for 2013/14 to 2015/16.
- UEFA Champions League distributions available to clubs increased 20.7% to €910m a year for 2012/13 to 2014/15.
- IPO completed in August raising net primary proceeds of $110.3m (approximately £68m) used to reduce our senior secured notes.
Ed Woodward, Executive Vice Chairman commented, ‘We are delighted to announce our first results as a NYSE listed company; fiscal 2012 was the best year ever for Manchester United’s commercial business. Our world-record $559m shirt sponsorship deal with Chevrolet and the Premier League’s new £1bn a year UK television rights deal (a 70% increase) highlight the outstanding growth prospects for the future. We also expect a substantial increase in the value of the Premier League’s international television contracts scheduled to be announced later this year.‘In addition, we continued to strengthen our team by signing world-class players such as Robin van Persie and Shinji Kagawa over the summer. We also opened a new commercial sales office in Hong Kong (our first outside the UK) to better position ourselves for growth in a region that represents 325 million of our 659 million followers.’