The plant’s workforce includes about 700 employees who transitioned from the original Hershey plant on East Chocolate Ave. – the company’s oldest facility, which ran continuously from 1905 until its retirement in April 2012.
Hershey’s manufacturing presence and investments bring significant economic benefit to the local and regional economies.
- Hershey’s $300 million investment is the largest direct investment by a food manufacturer in Pennsylvania in the last 20 years. Hershey’s Project Next Century included about $25 million in materials and supplies sourced in Pennsylvania.
- With 4,800 employees in Pennsylvania, 8,800 in the United States and 14,000 worldwide, The Hershey Company is the third-largest manufacturer in the state.
- Hershey trained approximately 700 employees to prepare them to work in the plant ’s high-tech manufacturing environment.
- The West Hershey plant includes stainless steel corn syrup and fresh milk silos with the capacity to hold millions of pounds of fresh ingredients. All of the silos were manufactured in Lancaster County, Pa.
Building on Hershey’s Innovation Heritage
More than a century ago, Milton S. Hershey revolutionized the chocolate industry by making chocolate an affordable treat and building a company focused on delighting consumers. The new West Hershey plant continues Milton Hershey’s passion for using innovation, technology and inspiration to make great candy accessible, affordable and delicious.Work on the latest expansion began with groundbreaking in September 2010 and was completed on schedule earlier this year. The construction used 17,000 yards of concrete, equivalent to a 65-mile long sidewalk. Contractors installed 600 tons of reinforcing steel, 10 miles of utility piping and 1,900 gallons of paint. “The West Hershey facility is a testament to the commitment and dedication of our tremendous plant employees,” said Terry O’Day, Senior Vice President, Global Operations. “I am proud of how our people have adapted quickly and recognized the opportunities provided by the latest technology. They contribute directly to improved quality, speed and efficiency. They truly represent the manufacturing employees of the future, operating one of the most technologically advanced candy factories in the world.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV