Smart headlights, emergency response systems and reverse monitoring features rank highest in car technologies that benefit mature drivers according to The Hartford and MIT AgeLab’s Top Technologies for Mature Drivers Research.
New car technologies help enhance driving abilities and promote safe driving (Photo: Business Wire)
“Since drivers over the age of 50 are more likely than any other age group to purchase the types of vehicles that contain modern technologies¹, we set out to identify the top ten features that mature drivers should consider,” said Jodi Olshevski, gerontologist at The Hartford. “While older drivers as a group are relatively safe, these technologies can help to enhance their abilities and promote safe driving for a lifetime.”
Building upon more than a decade of research on older driver safety, The Hartford and MIT AgeLab worked with a panel of leading experts in driving, aging and technology to conduct an in-depth study that involved the review of 25 new technologies and identification of the top ten that can benefit mature drivers. The features that rank the highest include*:
1. Smart headlights: adjust the range and intensity of light based on the distance of traffic and to reduce glare and improve night vision2. Emergency response systems: offer quick assistance to drivers in the case of a medical emergency or collision, often allowing emergency personnel to get to the scene more quickly 3. Reverse monitoring systems: warn of objects to the rear of the vehicle to help drivers judge distances and back up safely, and helps drivers with reduced flexibility 4. Blind spot warning systems: warn drivers of objects in blind spots, especially while changing lanes and parking, and helps those with limited range of motion
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts