HANNOVER, Germany, Sept. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Meritor, Inc. (NYSE: MTOR) today introduced two additions to the top-selling European disc brake family – the ELSA 225H and ELSA 225L – at the IAA Hannover Commercial Vehicle Show. The optimized ELSA 225H offers interchangeability with industry standard brakes and the additional benefit of performance upgraded to 30kNm at a lighter weight. The new ELSA 225L is designed to be a lighter weight alternative product for 25kNm applications.
Additionally, Meritor announced improvements to the existing ELSA family. The extended family of brakes broadens Meritor's ability to offer more optimized products for every vocation. The evolution of field-proven ELSA brakes now offers additional benefits including:
- Lighter weight than previous models that led the segment
- ELSA 225H weighs 37kg including pads
- ELSA 225L weighs 34kg including pads
- High stiffness structure for low air consumption
- Improved life and durability for lower total cost of ownership
- Increased performance with torque ratings up to 30 kNm
- Greater range of air chamber installation angles
- Standard, globalized design and production specifications to assure consistent product quality at all localized manufacturing locations
Meritor's European brake team, based in Cwmbran, Wales, put the brakes through a rigorous testing program in the German Alps this year. Trucks from all major European OEMs were driven for two weeks in difficult environments. The performance of the brakes were measured as part of the validation.
"Our brakes performed extremely well in a variety of conditions and met the expectations of our customers," said Dietmar Knoop, director, Engineering, Europe, Meritor. A video of the testing can be seen by this year's attendees at Meritor's IAA booth.The test route descended more than 1,000 meters with minimum engine braking, pushing rotor temperatures beyond 950 degrees Celsius. Several combinations of rotor and pad were used and each descent was completed safely under all conditions