The so-called FPSO (Floating, Production, Storage and Offloading) technology vessels remove the need for pipelines and thus lessen the risk of oil spills. The FPSO platform is portable, so it can be directed out of the path of hurricanes, another major plus.
As the PBR Web article referenced above puts it, "The BW Pioneer is the first FPSO to produce oil and gas in the U.S. portion of the Gulf of Mexico, and has the capacity to process 80 thousand barrels of oil and 500 thousand cubic meters of natural gas per day. Petrobras is the first company to develop an oil field in the Gulf of Mexico using a FPSO, a technology that has already been successfully and systematically employed in Brazil."
As the price chart below demonstrates, PBR shares hit its 52-week low and 3-year low price of $17.27-a-share on June 28th, 2012. On Friday, Sept. 14 shares hit an intraday high of $24.83, close to a 44% price rebound in less than three months! It closed on Monday, Sept. 17 at $23.85.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV