A Family Making Sweet Business Tunes
SYOSSET, N.Y. ( TheStreet) -- Everyone says the key ingredient to an entrepreneur's success is the passion that person has for their business. For a business that started on a leap of faith, nowhere is that more evident than at Paul Effman Music Service.
Thirty years ago, Paul Effman decided to take a chance based on his love for teaching music. As the head of the music department at a Long Island public high school, he noticed a void in music education in his surrounding area, particularly in private Catholic high schools. He decided to take a leave of absence to see if those schools would be open to music lessons for students through a financially self-sufficient program run by an independent company. He gave himself one year to try out the idea.
In his first year of business, about 10 schools agreed to Effman's program. Somehow he found the time to teach at every one of those schools while handling the bookkeeping and instrument purchasing and servicing for the students who rented them, among other things.
For a business that was fueled by one man's passion, today, the company serves 450 private schools with 15,000 students in nine states, primarily on the East Coast, but also California. It has 103 contract employees between teachers and administrative staff, two-thirds of which are full-time employees. The company declined to share its annual revenue and profit numbers.There is another vital piece to its success -- Paul's three children and wife Kathe are all heavily involved. "He borrowed money from his mother. She never expected to see it back. He paid it back within two months. He never went back
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV