Wells Fargo (WFC)
Background: Wells Fargo trades an average of 21 million shares per day with a marketcap of $190.8 billion.
52-Week High: $35.63Wells Fargo and US Bancorp (USB) are my two favorite banks. Don't get me wrong, I like the others as trading vehicles, but these are two solid banks to invest in for the long haul. I am not alone in my view, 21 out of 25 analysts rate Wells Fargo a buy or strong buy. The average analyst target price for WFC is $38.64. Wells Fargo has traded sideways for the last few months and the new leg higher is accompanied with large amounts of volume. Analysts are probably going to be proved correct, but before Wells Fargo rises to $38.64, I expect one or more small speed bumps along the way. Look for $35-ish to enter a long. Wells Fargo pays shareholders a lot more than depositors. The current yield is 2.44%, and because all the banks are more or less treated the same, the mean fiscal year estimate price-to-earnings ratio is 10.9. Very cheap for a big name company. Short sellers are next to impossible to find. Short interest is so low I only include it to demonstrate the smart money is not betting against this company. 0.8% of the float is short based on the last reported numbers. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV