Exxon Mobil (XOM)
Background: Exxon Mobil's principal business is energy, involving exploration for, and production of, crude oil and natural gas, manufacturing of petroleum products and transportation and sale of crude oil, natural gas and petroleum products. Exxon trades an average of 11.9 million shares per day with a marketcap of $426 billion.
52-Week High: $91.56Exxon is the second-highest valued company by market capitalization. Exxon's integration into every facet of energy is very attractive. Exxon has bets on every number and regardless of where the wheel stops spinning, Exxon shareholders can expect to get paid. The average analyst target price for Exxon is $93.64, and we are close to seeing the target reached. With that being said, I would hold off for now and let a dip happen. Buying above $90.50 feels too much like chasing it higher, something that I don't believe is warranted. The breakout above the $89 price range is solid, but even the nine-day moving average is only $90. It's at $90 or lower that an investor can buy and not feel like they are "paying-up" to gain exposure. Exxon's current estimated earnings of $7.58 per share this year means that investors buying on dips don't have to "pay up." It works out to a price-to-earnings ratio of only 12.2. Even if Exxon is making new highs, there is a lot of room for the shares to move higher. Shareholders even receive $2.28 annually in dividends. That works out to a yield of 2.47%. With a payout ratio of less than 25% and enough cash to fully pay off debt, the dividend looks almost as good as money in the bank. 0.9% of the float is sold short. It's not enough to raise concern, and I believe such a low rate of shares shorted indicates a bullish bias.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV