NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In today's market, investors must be willing to adapt or die. In fact I can probably drop the first part of that sentence and say simply, "investors must be willing to adapt or die," because the markets have always progressed. Sometimes slowly, and sometimes quickly, but the participants have not changed.
Take my trading approach as an example. While I am generally known for my aggressive shorting, I am trading to the long side more than ever.
There is a common saying that I imagine goes back to the creation of the Fed. Never fight God or the Fed. We knew QE3 was coming long before it was announced. How did we know? Because there is another common saying, "There are no coincidences on Wall Street."
If it's true that there are no coincidences on Wall Street (I believe it's true), we can safely assume that it's not a coincidence the S&P 500 ETF (SPY) moved higher in front of the QE3 announcement.Take a look at SPY's chart and look at the beginning of the media coverage about a possible QE3. If you believe the SPY increasing is no more than a coincidence in the face of higher unemployment, higher deficit spending, European woes and a Chinese slowdown, I know a guy who will sell you a bridge in San Francisco. So, for now I'm not going to fight the Fed and I will continue to focus my attention toward stocks that hold the ability to maximize shareholder returns inside the current environment. In
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV