BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Several multimedia companies' shares are seeing returns double that of the S&P 500 this year, thanks to their U.S. focus and reliable cable and satellite subscriptions. Add to that consumers' near-insatiable demand for news and entertainment delivered in a widening array of formats.
But it's a competitive environment for all concerned as cable and satellite television providers are now going head-to-head with telecommunications companies to be the one-stop shop for all voice, video and data feeds into homes and businesses.
As a result, content providers, such as news organizations and movie makers, are benefiting from this widespread demand, which is also causing a recovery in advertising revenues for the various forms of media.S&P Capital IQ said in an Aug. 2 research report that it has a "cautious" near-term outlook for the broadcasting, cable and satellite universe. "Our expectations reflect a continued healthy advertising rebound ... [but with] increased audience fragmentation, potentially disruptive business models, lingering concerns with 'cord cutting' and some regulatory overhang," the research firm said. The S&P 500 is up 18.4% this year (including 11% in the past three months), while nine of the 10 stocks summarized below have more than doubled that. Here are 10 multimedia-industry stocks with top returns and continued healthy prospects arranged in inverse order of their year-to-date gains:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV