This story has been updated with Sterne Agee's latest estimates for December quarter iPhone 5 sales
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple's (AAPL) new iPhone 5 won plaudits from analysts and investors alike when the device was launched at an event in San Francisco last week, laying the foundations for a record debut weekend.
Early on Monday, the Cupertino, Calif.-based firm confirmed that the iPhone 5 had shattered the previous pre-order record set by the iPhone 4S. Apple's iPhone 5 pre-orders topped 2 million in the first 24 hours that the phone was available, double the number for the iPhone 4S. AT&T (T) also described the iPhone 5 as its fastest-selling iPhone ever in a statement released on Monday.
Massive pent-up demand, coupled with overwhelmingly positive reviews of the new phone, suggest that Apple's on to a massive winner with the iPhone 5.Brian Marshall, an analyst at ISI Group, told TheStreet that he was impressed with the new iPhone when he picked it up for the first time at Apple's launch last Wednesday. "When you put that sucker in your hand, it's like, 'Wow!' " he said. "You have a 20% larger screen coupled with
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV