It's been a solid year for shareholders of Ametek (AME). The $9 billion electronic instruments company has rallied more than 28% since the first trading session in 2012.
Ametek builds electronic components that range from temperature sensors to specialty motors used by original equipment manufacturers. That niche business affords AME a sticky customer base with a high switching cost, two critical factors for success in the manufacturing sector.Like other diversified industrial firms, Ametek saw significant pressure when the recession hit and factory outputs tapered off. But the firm is more than making up for it now, with revenues far surpassing pre-recession highs last year. And all the while, the firm remained handily profitable, with net margins now weighing in at more than 13.5%. Management has done an impressive job of keeping Ametek's head well above water during the roughest economic seas. While a growth-by-acquisition approach to business has been pricey for Ametek, the firm's balance sheet is strong, with over $300 million in cash and investments offsetting some of the company's $1.5 billion debt load. With AME's profitability giving the firm plenty of cash to throw at its debt, the firm is in solid shape to keep performing at a high level right now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV