Rating Change #9
Pernix Therapeutics Holdings Inc
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The share price of PERNIX THERAPEUTICS HOLDINGS has not done very well: it is down 16.59% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- PERNIX THERAPEUTICS HOLDINGS has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PERNIX THERAPEUTICS HOLDINGS reported lower earnings of $0.34 versus $0.42 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 38.2% in earnings ($0.21 versus $0.34).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Pharmaceuticals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 162.1% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $1.50 million to -$0.93 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, PERNIX THERAPEUTICS HOLDINGS's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $1.62 million or 53.89% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Pernix Therapeutics Holdings, Inc., a pharmaceutical company, focuses on developing, marketing, and selling branded and generic pharmaceutical products for pediatric and adult indications in various therapeutic areas. The company has a P/E ratio of 29.1, equal to the average drugs industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Pernix has a market cap of $202.9 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 24.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
You can view the full
Pernix Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center