MERRILLVILLE, Ind., Sept. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- NiSource Inc. (NYSE: NI) has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America in recognition of the company's sustainable business practices and performance. Of the 140 companies that achieved listing on this year's North America Index, NiSource is one of only two U.S. natural gas distribution companies to make the list.
"We continue to make significant advancements toward our enterprise-wide sustainability goals, and being named to the DJSI is another demonstration of this progress," said NiSource President and Chief Executive Officer Robert C. Skaggs Jr. "Our balanced business strategy has a strong foundation in sustainability, and we believe a deepening of our focus is essential to building the premier company in our industry. It will drive continued innovation, improvement and engagement across our organization and with all of our stakeholders."
Transparent Sustainability ReportingNiSource issues an annual Sustainability Report that tracks the company's progress toward building a tradition of steady growth, customer-focused solutions, environmental stewardship and social responsibility. The 2011 report provided an in-depth review of the sustainability efforts across NiSource and its subsidiary companies. Performance highlights from the 2011 Sustainability Report included:
- Delivering shareholder value: NiSource delivered a total shareholder return of 40 percent in 2011, leading the Dow Jones Utility Index.
- Investing for our customers: NiSource invested $1.13 billion in capital expenditures, with the majority of that investment dedicated to enhancing and modernizing our energy infrastructure to better serve our customers.
- Creating jobs, community development: NiSource infrastructure investments have created more than 100 new positions at NiSource and hundreds of local construction jobs, including pipefitters, welders, heavy equipment operators and other contractors.
- Improving the environment: NiSource's investment in flue gas desulfurization (FGD) equipment at the company's coal-fired electric generating facilities will reduce sulfur dioxide emissions by more than 95 percent. When completed in 2018, NiSource's generation fleet will be fully 'scrubbed' with the latest technology available to reduce sulfur dioxide, one of the industry's most significant air emissions.
- Continuous improvement and goal setting: An employee-led Sustainability Council, created in early 2011, has worked together to create a common understanding of sustainability across the company. The council is finalizing a strategy with defined goals, objectives and performance indicators that will be incorporated into NiSource's business-planning processes.
The full 2011 Sustainability Report and related materials are available at http://www.nisource.com/sustainability.Launched in 1999, the DJSI tracks the financial performance of leading sustainability-driven companies. DJSI reviews companies on several general and industry-specific topics related to economic, environmental and social dimensions, including corporate governance, environmental policy, climate strategy, human capital development and labor practices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV