There are funds that use futures contracts, swaps and other derivatives to deliver an exposure that is more complex than a basket of stocks. In addition to VIXH there are levered and inverse index funds, products tracking Italian bond futures (no, really,) and other products that require some understanding of the derivative products the fund will use and the market being replicated.
A great example of possible investor disappointment can be seen in comparing the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures ETN (VXX) and the actual VIX index. Since inception in February 2009 VXX is down 97% while the underlying index is only down 66%. This is due in part to VXX tracking near term futures not the actual index and the extent to which replacing expiring futures contracts with replacements is often done at a loss, a market condition known at contango.
The expense ratio for VIXH is 0.60% which isn't necessarily expensive if the strategy protects investors from some sort of large market decline, but if the Federal Reserve Bank's policy of QE-Infinity continues to send markets higher, then VIXH will lag plain vanilla index funds.
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV