MeadWestvaco Corporation (NYSE: MWV), a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions, has been featured in the Carbon Disclosure Project’s (CDP), Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index for 2012. This index highlights companies scoring in the top ten percent of the S&P 500 based on commitment to climate change disclosures and understanding of the impact of climate change-related issues. MWV scored 93 out of 100, one of only 5 companies in the materials sector to score this high and the only company in the containers and packaging category to earn a place on the index. The average score for the S&P 500 was 70.
MWV is driven to find sustainable solutions for its business and has made a commitment to reduce CO2 emissions by 25 percent by 2015 (versus a 2010 baseline); currently, MWV is on target to achieve this goal. The company is installing a new, state-of-the-art biomass boiler that will burn renewable biomass, such as tree bark, wood residues and waste water residuals at its Covington paperboard facility. The new boiler will replace a coal-fired boiler and further reduce the company’s carbon footprint, cutting plant emissions by ~30 percent.
“We are taking steps every day to make our operations more efficient and our business more sustainable,” shared Dirk Krouskop, MWV’s vice president for safety, health and environment. “And we’re not only letting our customers, investors, suppliers and communities know what we’re up to – we’re working to achieve specific targets in partnership with all of these stakeholders. It’s an honor to be named on the CDP Leadership Index; it recognizes the work we've done in so many areas to proactively reduce carbon emissions as cost effectively as possible.”
Krouskop continued, “We are going to continue to work toward our long term improvement goals by doing things every day that make our business stronger, our customers more successful, and our environment more sustainable.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV