GigOptix, Inc. (NYSE MKT: GIG), a leading fabless supplier of semiconductor and optical components that enable high speed information streaming, today announced the experimental demonstration of the first integrated single channel 100 Gb/s NRZ-OOK TOSA based on the proprietary TFPS GigOptix modulator and the hybrid integration of an InP laser diode and InP electronics. Successful operation of the TOSA was confirmed through BER measurements and eye-diagrams at 80-100 Gb/s.
The work was done as part of the POLYSYS ( http://www.ict-polysys.eu) EU program, a collaboration between: National Technical University of Athens; III-V Lab; Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications; Linkra Srl; and GigOptix Inc. The goal of the program is to realize a hybridly integrated laser and modulator TOSA solution that will utilize GigOptix’s TFPS electro-optical polymer technology to integrate four lanes of 100Gbps On-Off-Keying (OOK) lanes to ultimately implement 400Gbps solutions. The 100G TOSA is a first stage of this project.
Some of the key highlights include:
- 100G NRZ-OOK streams have the potential to revolutionize 100G, 400G, and 1T technology: due to advantages in number of components, footprint, simplicity, power consumption and cost. Also the underlying technology can define a new base for operating symbol rates, and be further combined with higher-order modulation formats forwards 400G and 1T systems.
- The TFPS GigOptix polymer modulator has the clear advantage: due to its faster response and its advantage of being able to support higher-order modulation formats involving both intensity and phase modulation.
Eric Miller, General Manager of GigOptix Bothell, stated, "The significant challenges of co-packaging several optical components together with a TFPS modulator have been overcome to obtain these results. This successful demonstration proves the TFPS technologies ease of integration and superior data rate performance in yet another novel application. Looking forward, the TFPS technology poses no fundamental barriers to higher data rates to achieve 400G and 1T links.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV