This Day On The Street
Continue to site
ADVERTISEMENT
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

ICE And Gasunie Announce Transaction For The Derivatives And Spot Gas Business Of APX-ENDEX













LONDON, AMSTERDAM, and GRONINGEN, Netherlands, Sept. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- IntercontinentalExchange (NYSE: ICE), a leading operator of global regulated futures exchanges, clearing houses and over-the-counter markets, and gas infrastructure company Gasunie today announced an agreement to form a new company based on the derivatives and spot gas exchange of APX-ENDEX. ICE has entered into an agreement to acquire a majority stake in the derivatives and spot gas business of APX-ENDEX and Gasunie will retain a shareholding at a similar level to its current APX-ENDEX shareholding.

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20090727/CL51999LOGO )

The agreement follows today's announcement that APX-ENDEX will rearrange and demerge its business into two separate entities: a power spot and clearing business and a derivatives and spot natural gas business. The gas business includes derivatives and spot trading around the Title Transfer Facility (TTF) Virtual Trading Point in the Netherlands - one of continental Europe's leading natural gas trading hubs, as well as the UK On-the-Day Commodity Market (OCM) and the Belgian Zeebrugge Trading Point (ZTP) to launch at the end of September.

Under the terms of the agreement, ICE will acquire 79.12% of the derivatives and spot gas business of APX-ENDEX. Gasunie, as an existing shareholder of APX-ENDEX, will retain the remaining 20.88% stake. The transaction consideration for ICE will be funded by cash on hand and the transaction is expected to close by the end of the first quarter of 2013.

ICE and Gasunie recognise the important and strategic role that natural gas plays in the current and future energy requirements of Europe. As well as providing an efficient and alternative energy source for the region, natural gas also facilitates the development of a low-carbon economy for the future.

"The acquisition of a majority stake in APX-ENDEX's derivatives and spot gas business enables ICE to strengthen our offering to customers in continental Europe by providing a comprehensive energy marketplace and represents a significant step in expanding ICE's global commodity markets.  As an important energy trading hub and a strong European economy, the Netherlands is an ideal geographical location for ICE's expansion into continental Europe. The derivatives and spot gas business will benefit from ICE's world class trading and clearing expertise," said David Peniket, President & Chief Operating Officer, ICE Futures Europe.

"We are delighted to partner with Gasunie, an experienced and important company in the European gas infrastructure industry, to embark on this new strategic venture. Together, we intend to further develop a highly liquid and efficient continental European platform for hedging and trading in the gas and power markets, as well as providing intra-day and balancing mechanisms for TTF and ZTP, the UK OCM and other spot gas markets," added Peniket.

1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Submit an article to us!
SYM TRADE IT LAST %CHG

Markets

DOW 17,973.23 -97.17 -0.54%
S&P 500 2,101.18 -13.31 -0.63%
NASDAQ 4,959.9580 -56.9710 -1.14%

Partners Compare Online Brokers

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs