Velti (NASDAQ: VELT), the leading global provider of mobile marketing and advertising technology, today reported in their monthly 'State of Mobile Advertising' report that Android notched a second consecutive month of ad share gains on iOS in August, now taking 43 percent of served mobile ad impressions compared to 57 percent for Apple. In July, Android held 42 percent of ad impressions compared to 58 percent for Apple. This comes on the heal of the news that Samsung sold more devices than Apple and other manufacturers in Q2 2012.
If history is any guide, the new iPhone 5 could end the trend. Velti reported that in the two months following the introduction of iPhone 4S, Android ad share plummeted 5 percent. Velti also said it expects the iPhone 5 will account for more than 25 percent of total iOS mobile impressions in just six months.
“This is the first time we’ve seen Android net gains in two consecutive months, and it’s a drastic turnaround from the beginning of the year when Apple continued to soar,” said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. “But we also think the iPhone 5 is a game changer, within 6 months, iPhone 5 will likely become one of the top 5 devices on the exchange.”
In other mobile industry trends, Velti reported that AT&T remains the most dominant smartphone carrier in the U.S., accounting for 51 percent of the smartphone market. Sprint was the only U.S. carrier to gain marketshare in August, gaining 2 percent. Both Verizon and AT&T lost 1 percent share in the month.Other notable data from the report includes:
- iPhone 5 – iPhone 5 is expected to be adopted more quickly that the iPhone 4S and it will be one of the top 5 devices.
- Back to School Surge – Education apps saw a surge in the eCPM rate they paid publishers, rocketing from 82 cents to 97 cents in August.
- Kindle “On Fire” – Kindle Fire made its first appearance in the top 5 devices on the global network in August.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts