Velti (NASDAQ: VELT), the leading global provider of mobile marketing and advertising technology, today reported in their monthly 'State of Mobile Advertising' report that Android notched a second consecutive month of ad share gains on iOS in August, now taking 43 percent of served mobile ad impressions compared to 57 percent for Apple. In July, Android held 42 percent of ad impressions compared to 58 percent for Apple. This comes on the heal of the news that Samsung sold more devices than Apple and other manufacturers in Q2 2012.
If history is any guide, the new iPhone 5 could end the trend. Velti reported that in the two months following the introduction of iPhone 4S, Android ad share plummeted 5 percent. Velti also said it expects the iPhone 5 will account for more than 25 percent of total iOS mobile impressions in just six months.
“This is the first time we’ve seen Android net gains in two consecutive months, and it’s a drastic turnaround from the beginning of the year when Apple continued to soar,” said Krishna Subramanian, CMO of Velti. “But we also think the iPhone 5 is a game changer, within 6 months, iPhone 5 will likely become one of the top 5 devices on the exchange.”
In other mobile industry trends, Velti reported that AT&T remains the most dominant smartphone carrier in the U.S., accounting for 51 percent of the smartphone market. Sprint was the only U.S. carrier to gain marketshare in August, gaining 2 percent. Both Verizon and AT&T lost 1 percent share in the month.Other notable data from the report includes:
- iPhone 5 – iPhone 5 is expected to be adopted more quickly that the iPhone 4S and it will be one of the top 5 devices.
- Back to School Surge – Education apps saw a surge in the eCPM rate they paid publishers, rocketing from 82 cents to 97 cents in August.
- Kindle “On Fire” – Kindle Fire made its first appearance in the top 5 devices on the global network in August.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV