Sorrentino says "there are parts of Dodd-Frank that I think are appropriate and there are parts that aren't appropriate for community banks."
Regulators are taking several years to implement rules required by Dodd-Frank, with banks and the public granted comment periods before rules are finalized, and the industry's feedback to the regulators is part of the process.
"We can't just label something as bad and say that the legislation is good," says Sorrentino. "That is not how the world works. We have a very complex banking system in this country, and there is a direct correlation in that we have one of the best economies in the world."
"Our financial system, if you do the math, is a good system," Sorrentino says, "but there are lots of different kinds of banks in our system, and you can't just write one rule to apply to all of them. You can't just paint with a broad brush and say that banks are bad. It is somewhat childish."Regarding the financial crisis blame game, Sorrentino says "I agree that everyone has some culpability in what happened in 2007, including the borrower." -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV