NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- It doesn't matter if you have the latest and greatest tablet, smartphone or laptop if your home's Internet hub is not up to speed.
If your wireless router dies, your iPad will feel its pain.
The unsung hero of a home's Internet has for years helped people get online, check email and "like" stuff on Facebook (FB) by connecting everyone's computer to the Internet.
But when your Internet starts crawling, the wireless signal weakens or your connection drops (again), your router's lifespan may be nearing an end -- and it's not necessarily due to hardware failure."You set it up, you're happy with it. You only start worrying about it when it stops working," said Sandeep Harpalani, Netgear's (NTGR) senior product line manager of wireless networking. "Typically that happens when people have more devices." Home wireless router sales are strong and growing, coming in at $1.3 billion in revenue last year, nearly double from the $700 million in 2005, according to the Dell'Oro Group, a market research firm specializing in communications equipment. There's also no sign that products are now built to have shorter lifespan, said Chris DePuy, a Dell'Oro wireless analyst. "We really don't see much evidence that the upgrade cycle is accelerating or decelerating particularly," he said. Rather, router lifespan issues point to what people expect of a router these days. With reports,
Routers R.I.P.Routers do die, some within 30 days -- in which case, it's probably a lemon so return it. Others can last 10 years or longer. But signs that a router lifespan is near the end include:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV