Surviving Fed Madness
I don't know what exactly it will take to genuinely fire up this economy -- real growth, not a fed-inspired sugar high that wears off quickly -- but I suspect it has a great deal to do with confidence. Businesses that are afraid of what Uncle Sam might do next, that are holding onto the burgeoning amounts of cash on their balance sheets due to the uncertainty, aren't going to do a lot of hiring.
Consumers, whose budgets are already stretched, and who might be unemployed or underemployed, aren't going to be buying homes, or cars.
Commodity prices are once again coming back to life and that should not be a surprise either. While I don't view gold or silver as investments per se, they remain great hedges against uncertainty, against a weakening dollar.
I believe the bull market in each of these metals is resuming and I would not be shocked to see gold breach $2,000 an ounce, and silver back above $40 within the next year, perhaps sooner. If you own either, or both, you can thank Ben Bernanke.Until Thursday, it appeared as though the Fed had already thrown everything it had toward "fixing" the economy but the proverbial kitchen sink. Today, Bernanke is shopping for a new sink. Maybe he can just print one? At the time of publication, the author was long gold, silver. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV