Given the margin pressure and with "the contribution from loan loss reserve releases waning, no direct mortgage exposure, and C&I loan growth showing signs of slowing, we simply do not see any earnings growth catalysts on the horizon."
The analyst estimates that Comerica will earn $2.61 a share this year, followed by EPS of $2.60 in 2013.
Mutascio called Comerica's price-to-earnings multiple of 12.7, based on his 2013 EPS estimate, "the highest within our large cap bank coverage and significantly higher than the median of 10.0x," and said the 11-time multiple to his normalized earnings estimate for the company was "second highest within the group and higher than the median of 9.3x... despite the fact our estimated ROA and
The analyst added that since Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB) has "lower P/E multiples on both our 2013 and normalized EPS estimates, higher profitability measures (both ROA and ROE) and slightly higher dividend yield (3Q12 dividend increase is also likely at FITB, which would widen the gap further), we would rotate out of CMA and into FITB."Comerica's ROA has ranged between 0.67% and 0.93% over the past five quarters, while its ROE has ranged between 5.91% and 8.23%. Fifth Third's ROA has ranged between 1.12% and 1.48%, while its ROE has ranged between 9.79% and 12.82%. Fifth Third's shares closed at $15.61 Thursday, returning 24% year-to-date, following an 11% decline last year. The shares trade for 1.3 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $11.89, and for 10 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.58. Based on a quarterly payout of eight cents, Fifth Third's shares have a dividend yield of 2.05%. Mutascio rates Fifth Third a "Buy," with a $17 price target, and estimates the Cincinnati lender will earn $1.62 a share in 2013.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV