GOLDSBORO, N.C., Sept. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Progress Energy Carolinas, a subsidiary of Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK), will officially close the coal-fired H.F. Lee power plant near Goldsboro, N.C., Sept. 15.
This is the second such retirement under the utility's fleet-modernization program, which will help ensure continued grid reliability, reduce the long-term price impact on customers, reduce air emissions and water usage, and offer new economic development opportunities.
The Lee Plant has been a vital part of meeting the needs of Progress Energy Carolinas' customers since it began commercial operation in 1951. Located on the Neuse River west of Goldsboro, the plant was one of the first major construction projects in the utility's post-World War II expansion.
A second coal-fired unit was added the following year and a third unit added in the 1960s brought the coal plant's total coal generating capacity to 382 megawatts (MW). The site's four oil-fueled combustion turbine units, with a total capacity of 75 MW, will be retired Oct. 1, 2012."For 61 years, the Lee Plant has served the region with safe, reliable and affordable electricity," said Jeff Lyash, executive vice president of energy supply for Duke Energy. "During these years, hundreds of current and former employees have been closely tied to Wayne County and the region, and the plant's long, productive life has been a testament to their outstanding dedication." In addition to retiring older, small coal plants, the utility's fleet-modernization strategy also includes building new natural gas-fueled combined-cycle units on property between the Lee Plant and the Wayne County Energy Complex. The new, 920-MW natural gas-fueled combined-cycle facility and corresponding natural gas pipeline extension is expected to begin commercial operation in early 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV