By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Constellation Brands (STZ) is pulling back, and the bulls are getting in the spirit with the alcoholic-beverage company.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of more than 9,000 April 32.50 calls, most of which priced for $3.39. Volume was more than 600 times open interest at the strike before the trade appeared.
Long calls lock in how much investors must pay to buy a stock, so they can generate major leverage in the event of a rally. But these options can lose most or all of their value if the shares fail to move.Constellation rose 0.82% to $32.76 Thursday. It's been exploding higher since late June, when it took over selling Corona beer in the United States. The shares had fallen in the last week, and Thursday's call buyer apparently thought it was a good entry point. The trade occurred less than 20 cents from the bottom of the stock's range in the session and was followed by a rebound in the share price. Total option volume in the name was 24 times greater than average. Russell has no positions in STZ.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV