Barclays, a publisher of leading broad market bond benchmarks, today announced changes to its US High Yield Very Liquid Index (VLI), an index used for Exchange Traded Funds in both the United States and Canada, and for other institutional and research purposes. Barclays will implement all of these changes starting on February 1, 2013, and will transition from the existing rules to the new rules over the course of a six-month period.
While preserving the index’s core design philosophy of measuring the returns of a more liquid segment of the broad high yield corporate bond market, these rule changes are being made to reduce monthly turnover in index composition, increase issuer level diversification and reduce tracking error to broad market high yield indices.
Changes to the Barclays US High Yield VLI are as follows:
- Increasing the number of eligible bonds from the largest bond per issuer to the three largest bonds per issuer;
- Lowering the minimum security amount outstanding threshold from $600 million to $500 million;
- Lengthening the seasoning period from issuance for eligible bonds from three to five years; and
- Capping the exposure of any index eligible issuer at two percent (there is currently no issuer cap in place).
These changes to the Barclays US High Yield VLI enhance the usability and replicability of this benchmark, and reflect the growth and evolution of the high yield bond market as a whole. Applied to data from the past 10 years, the changes would have decreased turnover by over 30% and tracking error to the overall high yield market would have improved significantly.The Barclays Indices platform has offered market-leading benchmarks and other index products since 1973 to meet the diverse needs of global investors. These products facilitate investment and market analysis of both alpha and beta sources, portfolio benchmarking and performance measurement, asset allocation, and the creation of index tracking funds and index-based structured products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV