While it is unlikely you’ll catch rivals Stanford and USC football fans hugging it out during the game this week, the Discover Fan Loyalty Poll reveals that across the country, rivalries are more about respect than venom and victories.
In the second week of Discover’s national survey designed to gauge college football fan loyalty, fans were questioned about the nature of their rivalries. When asked how they would best describe their feelings toward their team’s biggest rival, fans answered as follows:
- 39 percent, Respectful because they bring out the best in my team
- 31 percent, You want them to lose to your team, but don't care about anyone else they play
- 15 percent, You absolutely hate them and hope they lose every game they play
- 13 percent, You have no feelings toward your team's biggest rival, it’s all in good fun
- 2 percent, Not sure
When it comes to the 15 percent of haters and where they focus their rivalry energy:
- 46 percent, hate the rival team itself
- 37 percent, hate the rival fans
- 9 percent, hate the rival coach
- 8 percent, hate their rival for some other reason
From week to week, fans have a voice in selecting who they think is the best team in the country. The Crimson Tide held on to their top spot this week as nearly half of fans, 47 percent, ranked Alabama as the best team, up from 32 percent who made the same pick last week, followed by:
- University of Southern California, 11 percent
- Louisiana State University, 7 percent
- Oregon, 4 percent
- Florida State, 2 percent
- Oklahoma, 2 percent
- South Carolina, 2 percent
- Georgia, 1 percent
- Some other team, 15 percent
- Not sure, 10 percent
- Men and women alike can’t stand their rivals, but for different reasons. Forty-five percent of men said they can’t stand their rival team’s fans, while 59 percent of women tend to dislike the team itself.
- Fans showed a little more team pride this week as 55 percent of respondents said they regularly wore clothing or other items with the logo of their favorite college football team, up from 49 percent last week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV