ALLEGAN, Mich., Sept. 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Perrigo Company (Nasdaq: PRGO; TASE) today announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of Sergeant's Pet Care Products, Inc. (Sergeant's), a privately-held, Omaha, Nebraska-based manufacturer of OTC companion animal healthcare products, for approximately $285 million in cash. Perrigo expects to receive a significant tax benefit as a result of the acquisition of Sergeant's assets. The net present value of this tax benefit is estimated to be approximately $50 million. The acquisition is expected to close during the Company's fiscal 2013 second quarter pending the satisfaction of closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.
Perrigo Chairman and CEO Joseph C. Papa stated, "This acquisition allows us to penetrate the pet care category by offering numerous flea and tick, health and well-being and consumable products to pet owners at affordable prices. Sergeant's has a proven record of innovation, high quality manufacturing with great customer service. We welcome Sergeant's two hundred-plus employees and over one thousand SKU's to the Perrigo family. This is a first step in executing on our strategy to expand our Consumer Healthcare portfolio into pet care, an adjacency of interest to our retail customers. We are excited to bring quality and value to consumers and their extended families."
Key benefits of the transaction:
- Quality, Affordable Healthcare with High Barriers-to-Entry: Sergeant's primary OTC channel flea and tick products contain the same active ingredients as the leading veterinary channel national brands, but offer consumers and retailers a compelling value proposition. In addition to regulatory hurdles (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency, Food and Drug Administration compliance), intellectual property portfolios, active-ingredient sourcing and channel access create barriers-to-entry.
- Immediate Access to Adjacent Category: The transaction is aligned with the Company's strategic growth objective to expand into adjacent categories where Perrigo can drive enhanced product offerings and value for its retail customers.
- Entry into Sizeable and Growing Self-pay Market: Pet Care is an $8 billion industry that has shown consistent growth through economic cycles. Consumers are treating their pets like members of the family and are spending a higher proportion of discretionary income on pet care and well-being.
- Revenue Synergies: Sergeant's acquisition allows Perrigo to add products to its current offerings and leverage established distribution infrastructure and customer relationships.
- Compelling Value Consistent with Stated Acquisition Criteria: The transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to adjusted earnings per share. The transaction is expected to be approximately $0.12 accretive to GAAP earnings per share and, excluding $0.08 of estimated deal-related expenses and intangible amortization, $0.20 accretive to adjusted earnings per share in the first full fiscal year post-closing. Perrigo's stated goal of Return on Invested Capital accretion is expected to be achieved in fiscal 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV